English as a Second Language (ESL)
ESL classes help immigrants improve their English skills so they can make a better life for themselves in the US. Improve your English to get a better job, further you education, help your children, or become a US citizen.
Classes meet mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
Monday – Friday 8:25-11:35 AM
Monday – Friday 12:35 – 3:45 PM
Monday – Thursday 6:20 – 9:30 PM
How to Register:
All new students must take a placement test. Come for a placement test Monday 8/14, Tuesday 8/15, Wednesday 8/16, Thursday 8/17, Monday 8/21, or Tuesday 8/22.
Starting August 21, placement tests are only given on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Come in the morning 8:00-10:30 am, or evening 6-7:30 pm.
New student will also attend an orientation. Orientations are scheduled for these times:
- Wednesday 8/16 10 am-1 pm or 6-9 pm
- Thursday 8/17 10 am-1 pm or 6-9 pm
- Wednesday 8/23 10 am-1 pm or 6-9 pm
- Wednesday 8/24 10 am-1 pm or 6-9 pm
Read our ESL FAQ page for more information.
ESL Distance Learning: Learn English at Home!
The Berkeley Adult School Distance Learning program offers four levels: Beginning Low, Beginning High, Intermediate Low, and Intermediate High. Students work in small groups (3-5 students) with the instructor. As part of the the Distance Learning ESL class, you will:
- Borrow Distance Learning study packets and DVDs or use online materials
- Study approximately two hours per day on your own
- Meet with a teacher and classmates once a week: Monday-Thursday, some evenings available
To register for Distance Learning ESL, follow the same procedures at the top of this page for the basic ESL class. Mention during registration that you are interested in the Distance Learning program.