Adult Education at its Best
The mission of Berkeley Adult School is to provide adult learners with equal access to learner-centered lifelong education in a safe, supportive multicultural environment.
- Founded in 1881.
- Part of the Berkeley Unified School District and a member of the North Alameda Consortium for Adult Education (NACAE).
- Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- We offer a wide variety of courses to address the needs and interests of our diverse community:
English as a Second Language, Career and Technical Education, courses leading to a high school diploma or preparing adults for a high school equivalency exam (“Academic” programs), diverse programs tailored for Older Adults and for Adults with Disabilities, and an array of topics in our Community Education Program. We also offer Traffic Violators School for those allowed this option by the courts.
Our Academic and ESL programs are free.
Student Learning Outcomes
All students will:
- Identify and achieve personal goals
- Practice respect for diversity
- Build self-confidence
- Demonstrate effective communication
- Develop and practice analytical thinking skills
- Be lifelong learners
The FAQ page has a list of commonly asked questions about BAS.
The ESL FAQ page has commonly asked questions about our English as a Second Language program.
Programs, Services, General Information