The North Cities Career Center is a member of the workforce development system. At our career center you can ,connect with qualified employees, find out about business opportunities, research state and federal regulations, explore the state’s economic development services, and much more. Our business services representatives provide customized, no-cost assistance to all businesses, including start-ups. Businesses are able to access a variety of services specifically designed to increase their competitiveness to grow their bottom line.
The North Cities Career Center can help your company and/or business recruit qualified employees.
- Labor Market Information
The North Cities Career Center will assist employers with industry specific reports for all East Bay communities.
- On-the-Job Training Employee training can be provided to your company and/or business at no cost for new hires. Additionally, if you hire from within our career center we can provide you with information on tax credits and hiring incentives.
Tax Credits and Hiring Incentives
- On the Job Training
For more information, please call Berkeley at (510) 644-6630, or Alameda One-Stop at (510) 748-2208 (Front Desk). Reimburses your company up to 50% of an eligible employee’s basic wages while being trained at your location. Reimbursement can be up to $3,000.
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit
For more information, please call Berkeley at (510) 644-6630, or Alameda One-Stop at (510) 748-2208 (Front Desk). Available to employers who hire individuals from certain targeted groups by offering them a federal income tax credit.
- Disabled Access Credit (http://www.irs.gov/publications/p907/index.html)
Helps small businesses cover the cost of making their businesses accessible to persons with disabilities. The maximum amount of the credit is $5,000.
- Post job announcements in the Career Center FREE of charge!
- Participate in job fairs and individual employment recruitments
- Post jobs for short term/day labor and temporary employment
- Free use of facilities for interviewing and recruiting
- Pre-screening services for applicant job matching
- Call (510) 748-5215 for details
Employers please send your job opportunities to this link:
Want to provide a new employee with paid training and get reimbursed for it? You can! Through the North Cities Career Center’s On-the-Job Training Program.
Why OJT? OJT accounts assist an employer in any sector to hire and train new employees with a high potential for success. Trainees have most of the requisite skills for the position, but may need training in duties specific to the job or industry. Establishing OJT provides support to the employer while the employee gains knowledge or skills essential to perform on the job.
What is OJT? The term “on-the-job training” means training provided by an employer to a participant on a job where the following conditions are met:
- The Trainee must be enrolled in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Program prior to starting the OJT
- The Employer pays the Trainee the same starting hourly wage as other employees in that classification
- The Trainee is treated as any other employee
- The employer must contribute the California minimum wage of $8.00 an hour
- Wherever possible a minimum 5% salary increase is granted upon successful completion of OJT or exiting from the program
- The Trainee becomes a permanent full-time employee upon completion of the OJT
How are the funds provided? Funds for an OJT account are available to One-Stop clients who are enrolled in our Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) program.
Interested in hiring an employee through the OJT Program? The North Cities One-Stop staff would be happy to meet with you to explain the details of the program. Contact the Berkeley Adult School Career Center at (510) 644-6630.